Thursday, June 23, 2016

3 litres of ice cream... and Jesus.

everywhere i look, people are in such different seasons, facing a whole bunch of varying situations and circumstances.  the mothers who are fighting to find peace and fulfillment in the long days of unending tasks or trying to find purpose in a life turning out different than the one they imagined. the singles who are battling despair and loneliness, or managing the longing while rocking being involved and living life to the fullest in the waiting.  the guys working so hard, hustling to build their dreams and save up for that wedding.  the working moms fighting for balance in what is required of them out of the home and needed of them in the home.  the carefree lovebirds who are living life on cloud 9.  those struggling with sickness and disease, fighting to stay healthy and positive and full of faith.  the happy, the sad, the strong, the weak, the vibrant, the dull, the adventurous, the mundane, those enjoying and those enduring... so many different situations...

i, myself, am in one of the VERY hardest seasons for me (my personality and make)... i am not busy. and i haven't been busy for months.  other than my wedding and our end of year production last year (both of which i found so fun, but again, quite easy to do) there's just not been much going on since then for me that i have found challenging or invigorating... other than the challenge of not being challenged. 

rest is probably one of the hardest things for me.  i crave being busy, i need to be needed, i LOVE being stretched and working hard and beating deadlines and being totally poured out... i thrive there. many people find it exhausting and complain about it... i LONG for those times and revel when they come and it takes A LOT before i start feeling overwhelmed.  

but life for the past many months has been...well, quiet.  still.  simple.  easy, for lack of a better word. my marriage is wonderful and growing and fun and strong and totally satisfying.  my team is well equipped and handling their responsibilities so well (even surpassing me in so many ways... and that is success...right?)  

and i'm just...well, i'm here. 

for the past many days, i've been talking to my husband about this and we've been praying a lot... he keeps reminding me that this is just a season.... and thank God seasons don't last forever (even if they feel like they do).

yesterday, our awesome accountant (nash) shared with us in staff devotions about being content - yes, dreaming and planning for the future, but not at the expense of missing out on the now.  i was SO challenged, i needed that word... am i really content in this season now?  NO.  am i grateful for the many months of quiet waiting and resting?  NOT REALLY.  and is that a good thing?  no... no it's not.  i should be content and grateful for the season i'm in now.

"...for I have learned how to get along happily whether I have much or little.  I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything.  I have learned the secret of contentment in every situation, whether it be a full stomach or hunger, plenty or want;  for I can do everything God asks me to with the help of Christ Who gives me the strength and power."  - philippians 4:11b-13 (the living bible) (emphasis mine)

the amplified version puts it this way..."...for I have learned to be content [and self-sufficient through Christ, satisfied to the point where I am not disturbed or uneasy] regardless of my circumstances.  I know how to get along and live humbly [in difficult times], and I also know how to enjoy abundance and live in prosperity.  In any and every circumstance I have learned the secret [of facing life]... I can do all things [which He has called me to do] through Him who strengthens and empowers me [to fulfill His purpose...I am ready for anything and equal to anything through Him Who infuses me with inner strength and confident peace]." (amplified bible)  (emphasis mine)

"almost nothing...hunger...difficult times...little" 
i don't know about you, but i wouldn't think of those words and then think "get along happily, be content, satisfied".... but paul said, not just when things are good and wonderful, but even when it's not so great, or even downright bad, i've learned how the secret of being content WHILE IT'S ROUGH, and satisfied WHEN I'M IN DIFFICULTY and happy WHEN I DON'T HAVE MUCH... 
wow.  just wow.

i love the phrase "i've learned to be satisfied to the point where i am not disturbed or uneasy"  that's the place we need to get to - where the hard seasons don' make us uneasy, the seasons of lack or want don't disturb us.

i can do all things which He has called me to do... not through gritting my teeth and forcing myself to just. get. through. it. or self-help books or 3 litres of ice cream... i can do this through HIM.  through His strength in me.  and not just do it... i can enjoy this season, be satisfied, be happy, be at ease, be undisturbed, with inner strength and confident peace...

so if you are like me... in a season that feels long and seems frustrating or hard or maybe even boring... you can do it.  you can even rock it.  that circumstance and situation that is stretching you further than you think you can go... you can be SATISFIED in that season.  you can get along HAPPILY whether it's a great place or a hard place.  He will give you the strength...
"...the strength to stick it out over the long haul - not the grim strength of gritting your teeth but the glory-strength God gives.  it is strength that endures the unendurable and spills over into joy, thanking the Father Who makes us strong enough to take part in everything bright and beautiful that He has for us." - colossians 1:11-12 (the message)

be encouraged...the strength He gives us isn't just to bear up and survive and trudge through... it is glory-strength.  it is strength that spills into joy and thanksgiving!

"learn the unforced rhythms of grace.  I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you.  keep company with Me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."  -  matthew 11:30 (the message)



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just what i needed.

SO while i wait, i'll be content and i will rest!!

Unknown said...

Like you said, wow!Just wow!

Unknown said...

I find your song rather inspirational. its peaceful its just calming. i cannot explain further. Thank you.

Hellen Bittok said...

Just reading this today, wow, it's like ur seeing through me,am in that season right now, and God knows it's not easy, but like you said I will be still, and rest, and know that He is God! Thanks for that word.God bless you.

mashiz said...

You know it good to read about seasons when you realise that a season just passed...Thank you for writing this..... As a producer Kindly listen to one of my three songs on youtube and give me feedback on eshadrackopiyo@yahoo.com https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHjDWgXBSuk